Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The peace sign backwards

Yesterday in class, I did something really stupid. Get ready.

So, in my British history class, there are only about 12 people in the recitation and it is quite the intimate setup. I have already embarrassed myself greatly in front of my professor (a young, intelligent, and energetic guy - I may or may not have a crush on him - that's besides the point though) TWICE. The first was when I didn't exactly realize that the Dominions fought in WWI and WWII (it's not that I denied it per se... I just didn't really ever think about it. I mean - did YOU know that? Do you even KNOW what the Dominions are? Right.) and the professor called me out on it - on the first day of recitation. The second time, I was in the hallway telling Brandon about my paper that I had handed in that morning, and explaining (quite loudly on our way out of the building) that I didn't exactly stick to the structural guidelines that the professor had suggested, because I liked my way better for the question I chose. Of course, the professor was right behind us and I said, "great timing," and proceeded to talk to him for about five minutes to try to cover my arse and mend the situation (which I think I did a pretty good job of).

As if those two events weren't enough to make him annoyed at the stupid American exchange student in his class, I think I really pissed him off yesterday. I gave a presentation which I was kind of nervous about, considering the past events, but it turned out fine and I was over it. Throughout the class, I participated a lot (you're expected to on the day you present because you know more about the material than everyone else). I was sitting in the professor's line of vision, pretty close to him. All in all, class was going fine. He didn't have his watch on, and usually when he forgets it, he asks us to let him know when we only have a few minutes left in class so that he doesn't go over. So, when there were just a couple of minutes left, I looked down at my watch. It wasn't obvious, but I thought he saw me out of the corner of his eye. I looked up, and he looked up too, but he was still speaking. I thought his gaze meant: how much time do we have left, Rachel? There were two minutes left, so I held up two fingers, with my palm facing me. That's just the way my hand was at the time. He stopped talking and gave me a puzzled look. I said, two minutes left -- and as soon as the words left my mouth, I realized what I had just done. You see, instead of the middle finger, the British use their first two fingers to insult someone. It even has a historical source: During the Hundred Years War, if the French captured any British archers they would cut off their first two fingers out of spite. If a British archer still had his, he would give the two-finger salute during a battle, taunting the French by saying, hey, screw you, I have mine!

So, as you can guess, I was absolutely humiliated. I immediately buried my head in my hands, nervously giggling and babbling, oh my GOD I'm so sorry I didn't mean it that way at all It means nothing when you do that in the US I was just telling you there were two minutes left in class You aren't wearing a watch I thought you saw me I'm so sorry oy oy oy OY. Brandon was sitting next to me cracking up - the rest of the class was either confused because they didn't see what happened, or probably thinking, what an idiot. My professor sort of gave a smile but seemed a little bit annoyed and continued with his point. At the end of the class I apologized profusely again and he seemed to understand, so that's good. I think it will be okay and he probably already forgot about it. I have to meet with him next week to get a paper back and am convinced I'm going to do something equally if not more stupid - it seems to be quite the trend with this guy. Anyway, that's what NOT to do in your class when you study abroad in England, ok? Keep that in mind.

Other notable events and activities of the last couple of weeks:

Don't eat breakfast before going to Borough Market. I made that major mistake on Friday and was extremely disappointed. Michael came to visit the London crew all the way from Madrid so we did our best to show him the best sights in London....Borough Market obviously being a major one. We had somewhat of an English breakfast and then made our way down to more food... and I just couldn't do it. There were so many samples and by the time Brandon and Michael got their sandwiches, I couldn't even get my own. It was a low point in my life, for sure. I managed to buy 7 pounds worth of dried fruit, though, and some serious dinner ingredients. We bought wild boar sausage and Cumberland sausage, potatoes, green beans, and some strawberry beer for Sami, and then cooked a delicious dinner for everyone that night. Don't worry - I redeemed myself at Portobello Road the next day (my other favorite place in London...) and ate a "hog sandwich" - basically it was a little mini-restaurant with one picnic table, a counter, a big sign that says HOG SANDWICH 4.50, and a huge grill with a pig rotating. It was seasoned with so much rosemary and fennel and served on a nice roll with arugula and applesauce. DEElish. I'm going to start to refer to pork and pig as hog from now on, too. Michael got a schnitzel sandwich - one look at those bratwurst and schnitzels and he was all sentimental about our days in Deutschland.

Vinopolis. Saturday night a huge group of Penn kids went to this great wine tasting at "Vinopolis" down near London Bridge. We even got to taste some rum, champagne, and Bombay Sapphire along with so much wine that I had to give my extra tickets to the boys. There was a little 15-minute session where they taught you about wine and wine tasting, but I couldn't even get anything out it because the speaker had such a thick Spanish (?) accent - it wasn't even worth trying after a while. I just held my glass up to a piece of white paper and looked at its beauty.

Whoever said the British don't drink to get drunk was lying. Sure, their drinking age is 18. Sure, they're used to the pub culture and just have a few drinks and enjoy themselves. Sure, Americans are known for binge drinking. But on our very long tube ride from the wine tour to our next destination (see below), a few of the guys befriended these two Brits across from us. One was relatively friendly and asking us where we were from, and his friend was leaning over with his head buried in his hands. He was swaying back and forth and didn't look so good. Sure enough, the friend pukes all over the floor of the tube and I of course flip out and grab my stuff and walk through the door to the other car as soon as it stops (only 5 seconds later). Everyone's like, Rachel, where are you going? What's the big deal? The train starts moving again and within 10 seconds, everyone gets up and joins me in the new car because - YEAH - it smells like vom.

I'm still a klepto - or at least people try to make me appear as one. On Saturday night, we went to this great pub very far from where we live - nothing like the dark, packed, and early-closing pubs that all look alike near us. Both Brandon and Michael asked me if I had my big purse with me (which obvy I did) and wanted me to take these really interesting pint glasses. I didn't put them in my purse, but I successfully handed over two pint glasses to the boys when we got home. Don't know how that happened (in case I didn't mention this before, I took a stein from our beer tent in Munich at Oktoberfest -- it's kind of the thing you HAVE to do when you go. I took it for Brandon, not me).

I finally went to Topshop - just worth noting because it's the most incredible women's clothing store in London.... ridiculously trendy things to the point of being very weird, a humongous shoe department that keeps going and going, an entire clothing line by (or for?) Kate Moss, and the best purse department ever. I went on a Tuesday morning so the crowds were minimal - very wise. Topshop is coming to New York, so don't you worry.

And yes, I even managed to go to class. Just three papers and two presentations left - 3 weeks is plenty of time, right? Sorry I don't have any pictures this time...

Cheers!

3 comments:

Uncle D said...

Whatever. Is the prof CUTE?

Avra said...

you are hilarious. come home and entertain me. or maybe ill just come to you? happy turkey day my lovely klepto :)

DBCHongkong said...

you ended a sentence with a proposition. Tsk.